We recommend an annual service of your central heating system to maintain optimal efficiency. A service should cost in the region of $250 to $300.
Key service features include:
- Check heat source general operation
- Clean (combustion chamber, heat exchanger, etc.)
- Inspect Filters
- Check overall system operation
- Check system pressure
- Check the fluid in the system has the correct dosage of inhibitor to prevent corrosion
Central Heating systems are both efficient and effective when designed and installed correctly—they are proven the world over as the best heating system possible. Because different fuel types have different costs depending on where you are, choice of fuel also impacts running cost efficiency. Central Heating New Zealand works with you to choose a fuel type that is right for your budget, your home and your location.
Personal taste, lifestyle, and structure of the home are the key considerations when choosing between underfloor pipes and wall-mounted radiators.
There are a number of key differences between the two:
- We recommend a radiator-based system in areas where weather conditions are changeable. Radiators are very responsive and heat up quicker than underfloor solutions.
- Underfloor heating is more suited to homes that have tiled or hard floor areas, or in homes constructed of block without wall battening.
- Underfloor pipes are completely hidden and so have no aesthetic impact on the home.
- The heat delivered by underfloor pipes is exceptionally luxurious and evenly spread. Health experts recommend ground-up heating as the most comfortable and therapeutic for the human body.
- Both underfloor pipes and radiators can be used in new homes, but because the floor pad is already laid in existing homes, it is more difficult to lay underfloor pipe, and therefore radiators are more common.
- Underfloor pipes deliver heat to the feet, so the perceived comfort is greater. As a result, the actual room temperature can possibly be one or two degrees below that required with other systems to achieve a similar level of comfort – providing energy cost savings. However, if a system is used for only short periods of time and at infrequent intervals, radiators may return a lower running cost.
- In a radiator-heated home, you can actually sit on the heat! When you come in from the cold, there is nothing nicer than to lean against a radiator, which warms to a much higher—but safe—surface temperature than an underfloor slab. You can also dry clothes on them
Water is pumped through both the radiators and underfloor systems. The system is sealed so no water is consumed once the system is filled. The water is treated with an anti corrosive agent and sometimes an antifreeze agent.
Two thirds of the world use central heating to keep warm during the winter months. It is without doubt the most efficient and effective whole-home heating solution . There are a variety of reasons why central heating has maintained its position as a market leader. Here are just a few of them:
- Warm water central heating can use a variety of fuels (like gas, diesel, electricity and geothermal energy) whereas with most heating you are limited to one type of energy, typically electricity. With warm water central heating, you can also change out your heat source in the future if there are significant changes to the supply or cost of fuel.
- Water transfers energy at four times the rate of air, making warm water central heating so much more efficient than warm air systems.
- Radiant heat (i.e., from a radiator or underfloor heating in a central heating system) is much more comfortable to the human body than forced air. Warm air systems such as heat pumps are also drafty, noisy and there are often cold spots. None of these things happen with a warm water central heating system. It is just warm and comfortable, all the time!
Because there is no forced air flow, central heating is perfect for people with respiratory or allergy problems. We have even had customers comment that their asthma almost completely disappeared after the first winter with central heating! In addition, there are also no naked flames or elements to be a danger to children or the elderly.
A warm, dry home is a healthy home. Putting central heating in an old house can eliminate up to 80% of condensation problems. The heating system will dry out the structure of the home because dry air condenses less than damp air.
Each house has its own heat loss characteristics. We calculate the heat required to achieve at least 21 degrees in living areas and 17 degrees in bedrooms. We then know the kilowatt demand of the house, which allows us to work out how much it will cost to run the system on different fuel types.
For more information, visit our How much does central heating cost? page.
Yes, you could run several radiators from a log burner with a wetback. If the wetback is currently heating a domestic hot water cylinder, and you wish this to continue also, the cylinder would have to be modified to separate the water going to the radiators from the water going to the cylinder. This is because the rust generated by the water in the steel radiators would infiltrate the potable/drinking water in the cylinder. For a new installation, you can get a cylinder that already has this coil or heat exchanger in it.
It is the most exciting development in heating! Because it uses the earth’s energy to heat and cool your home, fuel costs are reduced. It is a future-focused way to heat your home because geothermal energy is a renewable resource.
For more information, visit our geothermal ground-source heat pumps page.
As one of the original central heating companies in NZ, and with an experienced team including sales people and engineers, we are the experts! We import the products from Europe, supply to preferred installers nationwide, and have our own installation division who work in the Canterbury region. We know the products and systems inside out and can design the most efficient and effective systems for each individual home.
Contact us so that we can fully understand your requirements and plans. We can develop a proposal that meets your heating needs, free of charge. Central Heating New Zealand has the skills, products and people to help you. We offer expert technical advice and customer support and import only the highest quality European products. Our team works hard to find the right heating system for your home, budget and lifestyle—contact our friendly team now!